This guide to an exciting career as a Solidity developer provides everything you need to know to get started, including details of a low-cost certificated course. Solidity developer jobs are in high demand by organisations and, in addition, 2023 could be the best year for you to jump into Solidity as a new career.
What is Solidity?
Solidity is a high-level, contract-orientated programming language developers use to write decentralised applications, smart contracts and self-executing Ethereum scripts. In addition, Solidity has an instruction set and a compiler that converts code into bytecode for the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM).
Who Created Solidity?
Gavin Wood, the founder of the Ethereum network, created Solidity to enable the creation of smart contracts on the Ethereum blockchain. It was the first object-oriented programming language (OOP). Above all, it was developed to improve on Bitcoin’s scalability shortcomings by generating dApps.
How Does Solidity Work?
To create a smart contract with Solidity, primarily a user needs an Ethereum address for sending and receiving funds. In additon, users require an Ethereum compiler to compile a code that the EVM can understand. After that, the code converts into EVMs bytecode when a contract is validated and completed in Solidity.
In addition, Solidity developers can use Solidity with any EVM-based network, and it’s become a popular language for creating blockchain-based applications.
What’s the Benefit of Using Solidity?
Because Solidity is a high-level programming language, it removes the need for typing code in zeros and ones. Subsequently, this benefit makes Solidity easier for developers to write programs.
As Ethereum smart contracts become more popular, more companies are using Solidity as the primary language for developing dApps. Subsequently, Solidity developers are in high demand. There’s never been a better time to learn how to become a Solidity developer.
How to Become a Solidity Developer
Above all, follow the strategic steps to become a Solidity developer, and you’ll soon find a new career in this exciting field.
- Become familiar with data structures like maps and lists
- Gain a good working knowledge of every aspect of the EVM (Ethereum Virtual Machine)
- Start developing projects with the Solidity language for smart contracts on the Ethereum network
What do Solidity Developers Do?
What is a Solidity developer? Primarily, Solidity developers design, develop and deploy smart contracts on the Ethereum blockchain. Likewise, they can confidently write auditable, secure and efficient open-source code and create dApps on Ethereum with Solidity.
How Quickly Can you Learn Solidity?
If you apply yourself and commit to learning, you could be up and running as a Solidity developer in two to six months. Above all, you will find learning easier if you have prior knowledge of programming languages.
In addition, Solidity developers must understand Remix, which is a user-friendly, browser-based IDE (Solidity-specific integrated development environment). Primarily, Remix is a highly-effective tool for developers working with Solidity, as they do not have to download and install the software.
- Remix integrates with the EVM and compiler
- Provides syntax highlighting & auto-completion
- Enables one-click deployment of smart contracts to a chain
The following training course suggests users can complete with five hours of study.
Certified Solidity Developer™
Blockchain Council provides a broad range of certificated blockchain courses. The Certified Solidity Developer course may be enough to get started, but it’s worth browsing a range of courses. The more in-depth knowledge you have about Solidity and the Ethereum network, the more chance of finding a highly-paid job as a Solidity developer.
- Blockchain Basics
- Ethereum Introduction
- Certified Solidity Developer Exam
- Gain skills and understanding of Solidity
- In-depth knowledge of Ethereum and how it works
- Apply your skills in creating Solidity
- Build a blockchain enterprise of your own
What you get
- Blockchain Council certification
- Lifetime access to the Solidity developer course content
- 24/7 support
Many of Blockchain Councils’ courses are suitable for beginners. Prepare for an exciting career as a Solidity developer in 2023 by starting your study now. Career progressions include blockchain developer, architect and engineers.
Is it Worth Gaining Certification as a Solidity Developer?
Demand for Solidity developers is increasing. Subsequently, certification demonstrates your commitment to acquiring the necessary knowledge and expertise. Indeed, having just one certification on your resume, you can earn more money as a Solidity developer.
Above all, at any stage of your career, certification proves your commitment to personal and professional development.
What is the Ethereum Virtual Machine (EVM)?
Ethereum is a decentralised platform for running secure applications. In addition, it is censorship-free, with no middlemen.
EVM runs on top of the Ethereum blockchain and is the environment for smart contracts. Likewise, every Ethereum network node running a node must execute via the EVM.
- The international system of connected nodes ensures the performance and security of unauthorised programs
- It prevents Denial-of-Service attacks
- Verifies that applications cannot access each other’s states
- Maintains communication without direct involvement
Use-cases for Solidity in Ethereum
Solidity generates NFT and fungible smart contracts on the Ethereum network, which uses specific standards for creating tokens. Subsequently, Ethereum blockchain users can create a wide range of use-case types.
In addition, Solidity also allows the creation of a DAO (Decentralised Autonomous Organisation), a community-driven decentralised organisation where members construct the rules without the influence of a central government.
Solidity can segregate the data and logic in smart contracts and gives inheritance features and Solidity developers can store data in a smart contract by creating specific instructions.
Developers can use Solidity in DeFi Projects to create incentivised staking contracts (users deposit a token, and they receive rewards with a new token). In addition, it can also be used to develop borrowing and lending protocols.
What is a Solidity Smart Contract?
A Solidity smart contract is simply a collection of code (functions) and data (location) residing at a specific location on the Ethereum blockchain. As a starting point, smart contracts include all the associated functions and variations required for business logic. Primarily, Solidity has several basic types that users can combine and create more sophisticated types.
Pros and Cons of Working as a Solidity Developer
Every job has pros and cons, but how about working as a Solidity developer?
Eight Pros of Solidity
- Solidity is a popular object-oriented programming (OOP) language for developing smart contracts, and it’s becoming a primary language for many organisations
- Solidity developers can create easy-to-read programs
- Developers can deploy smart contracts using the EVM
- The EVM automatically upgrades the blockchain without altering the previous codebase
- Functionality: Solidity is one of the most often used languages by developers
- Solidity developers are in high demand
- It is relatively easy to learn
- Consistent updates: Solidity regularly updates to fix bugs etc
Three Cons of Solidity
- Solidity cannot solve all problems that other languages, such as Python or Java, can
- Solidity smart contracts have limited computational power. Subsequently, they may not be as secure as those written in alternative languages
- After the code is compiled, it cannot be reversed
Solidity Developer Salary
Solidity developers are well-paid for their services. Subsequently, salaries range from £40,000 to £180,000 depending on qualifications and experience. Many Solidity developers operate as freelancers, working on short- or long-term contracts, which can be lucrative.
Solidity Developers Job Search
Firstly, decide if you want a salaried or contract position. After that, determine if you want to work for a large organisation or would be happier contributing to a small business or startup. Though the latter may be high risk, the rewards can be significant if a startup team gets substantial venture capital funding, especially in the Web3 space.
Many big-tech organisations now embrace blockchain technology, such as Microsoft, Facebook, Google and Amazon. However, getting an interview can be challenging because of hundreds of applicants for every position advertised.
Above all, if you want to work for a top-tier company, contact the CB Recruitment team, as the experienced group of specialists work with many high-calibre organisations.
Can Solidity Developers Work from Home?
The good news is that most Solidity developer positions offer remote working. Subsequently, there are no limitations to where you can apply for a job. However, many companies prefer applications from candidates in the same time zone because of the communication difficulties of setting up meetings etc.
Working from home sounds like a dream life, but it doesn’t come without challenges. It can be isolating, and after a while, motivation can decline. It requires self-discipline and determination to get the work completed.
Ideally, choose a company where you can regularly connect with colleagues and team members.
You have a Solidity Developer Certification. Now What?
There is an increasing demand for Solidity developers. However, most organisations want the most experienced candidates and pay a premium salary to get the best talent in Web3.
There is no doubt you will find a great job, but here is a list of three tips to help get you started as a Solidity developer: –
- Become a freelance contractor: It’s a great way to build a portfolio to show potential employers
- Network: Build up your network of connections. The adage “it’s not what you know but who you know” often applies in Web3, and one contact could point you to your first Solidity developer role
- Register with a Web3 talent specialist: CB Recruitment’s vision is “building the Web3 workforce of tomorrow“, and they are committed to “Making Web3 work.” The experienced specialist team can connect you with some of the best companies in Web3 and will work with you to find an entry-level or senior position as a Solidity developer
Conclusion: How To Start A Career As A Solidity Developer (2023)
To sum up, as we near the end of 2022, the potential for Solidity developers in 2023 will likely be unprecedented. As more organisations adopt Solidity as the primary programming language, there’s never been a better time to gain certification and start looking for a Solidity Developer role.
Ethereum is here to stay, and it’s the #2 listed cryptocurrency on CoinMarketCap. As the Ethereum blockchain transitioned to proof-of-stake (PoS) this year, scalability and functionality have improved.
Many blockchain platforms have interoperability and use EVM for building smart contracts. Indeed, the Ethereum network has four times more developers than any other crypto ecosystem, and these figures continue growing regardless of the state of the cryptocurrency market.
As Ethereum continues to scale, the demand for Solidity developers will rise accordingly.